Monday, April 1, 2013

A is for the Andromeda Galaxy

First of all, since the first letter of the alphabet is A, I'd like to give a shout out to Arlee Bird, the creator of the A-Z Challenge.  If it weren't for him, we wouldn't be here for this.  Thank you!



The Andromeda Galaxy, or M31, is our cosmic neighbor.  As such, it intrigues us with its beauty. We study it in our quest to deepen our understanding of the cosmos.  One day, it will collide with our own Milky Way Galaxy and create something new.  For me, this only adds to its allure.
Photo: Chris Lasley
Flickr
Here's a fun video tour of the stunning Andromeda Galaxy.

14 comments:

  1. I did not know what Andromeda was before reading this post. ...And I consider myself a nerd [shakes head disapprovingly].

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've, actually, heard of this galaxy...I feel all astronomical and stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading this. My husband has a large telescope that he likes to look at the stars with and he's taught me so much about the stars and galaxies. Thanks for such an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My "A" post on one of my blogs is similar to yours - astronomy. I'm fascinated with space and what's out there!

    Keep Calm and A-Z
    An A-Z of learning English
    Round the world from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the challenge! I participated last year and had a blast!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the challenge -- this month should be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, wonderful post. It reminded me how much I love astronomy.

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge and I can't wait for your other posts. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What are the chances I would see Andromeda twice today? Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray for nerdy bloggers! I'm a huge NDGT fan, and noticed your abundance of Star Talk links.

    ROFL Initiative

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! This stuff always fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything about outer space intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete