Tuesday, April 14, 2015

L is for Ludibrious


Here I am again with another wonderfully entertaining vocabulary word.  Language is a wonderful thing, is it not?

Today's word is: LUDIBRIOUS

Ludibrious means that someone or something is laughable, ridiculous, or mockable.  We all know someone worthy of this distinction, don't we?  And I think we can all be ludibrious from time to time.

Reasons to know this word:
-There are so many absurdities in the world, it's worth your time to know all the words that could be applied to them.
-If you must insult someone because restraining yourself from doing so might cause you to strain a muscle, calling them ludibrious might enable you to do so without injury.  After all, if they don't know what the word means, they're less likely to hit you, right?  (I cannot, however, guarantee your safety.  It's still a risk, so do this at your own peril.)

3 comments:

  1. Interesting word. Not sure I'd put your second reason to use. Sounds a little risky.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word sounds like something ridiculous, all right. I'm going to pass on using it just in case someone does take offense and tries to deck me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ludibrious. l-u-d-i-b-r-i-o-u-s. Ludibrious. Hope it sticks in my head. I like the heftiness of it. Thank you much.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder
    Take 25 to Hollister

    ReplyDelete