Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A is for Autophoby



Welcome to another year of the A to Z Challenge!  Today we start with the auspicious letter A!

This year I'm choosing obscure vocabulary words and sharing them with you.  I'll also give you cool, or silly (depending on your perspective), reasons why these are words you should know.

Today's word is: AUTOPHOBY

Autophoby is defined as the fear of referring to oneself or of being egotistical.

Reasons to know this word:
-If you're afraid you're becoming a self-obsessed jerk, this may be a good phobia to try on for size.
-If you're on a date and they are letting you go on and on about yourself without interruption, you'll know they may not actually be as interested in you as you hope they are.  They may simply be autophobic.
-If this ever comes up on Jeopardy, you can look super smart in front of your friends.

14 comments:

  1. That's a new word I've learnt today, thanks.

    Best wishes for a great A-Z,
    Nilanjana.
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great word, looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love words and I'm really looking forward to the rest of your A-to-Z posts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good word! I used to be under the impression that the fear of things always ended in -phobia. Now I know better. :)

    Sarah from Scribbles and Shorts

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this word. All creative people need it in their vocab. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo another word another A to Z I am impressed it hard enough doing one A to Z, Well Done

    Still passing as a Mr B Ambassador

    Rob Z Tobor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love this theme!! I've never heard of Autophoby, but it makes perfect sense. Love your reasons for sharing, especially the date-night one! LOL. I'm going to follow you so I can see what words, and their reasons for being interesting, you come up with this month! Lisa, co-host AtoZ2015, @ lisabuiecollard.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm tucking this word in my vocab book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting word. Like the last reason for the word. Ha!

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great word and usage.
    It looks like you will be having lots of fun this A to Z - enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful word! But honestly I always have a pretty high expectations of your blog. ;)

    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
    2015 A to Z of Vampires
    http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! And yes, I AM that person who yells out answers during Jeopardy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun word! I know some people who should try this phobia on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. #3 made me giggle. 😛 Especially since I have never played Jeopardy in my life. Not even once! I feel like I'm missing out...

    Alex Hurst, A Fantasy Author in Kyoto
    Out of Print, Fiction authors and their shorts

    A-Z Blogging in April Participant

    ReplyDelete