Saturday, April 20, 2013

R is for Relativity


Einstein stunned the world with his insights into the cosmos.  I remember when I first learned about the specifics of both the Special Theory of Relativity and the General Theory of Relativity in college, it was almost enough to make my head spin.  I'm in awe that anyone could be so in tune with the universe that they could come up with these concepts through thought experiments.

These videos break down the concepts in relativity and make them easier to understand.  Feel free to watch them all (though it may take more than one sitting to do so), or watch until it feels like your head might explode.  (Trust me, the feeling that your head may explode is a perfectly normal reaction.)

This first video deals with the examples of relativity we see in daily life.  These are easily observable and were adequately handled by classical physics.  We knew these things before Einstein, but knowing this stuff sets up a foundation that helps you understand the more bizarre things to come.










3 comments:

  1. Nicely produced videos. The concepts are explained very clearly and carefully, but I guess I'd really have to think on them more to totally understand them. Sometimes it takes me a while to fathom stuff.

    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I'm overly a science person but I understand some of the basics. I love the name of your blog. I'm a new follower and am looking forward to more posts from you.
    ~Summer
    My Blog Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH man! too many toys and buttons and widgets and things to play with! I could get lost here for hours. Wait - I did. So, I've nominated you for the Leibster Blog Award. You don't have to play along, but it would be cool if you did. Check my blog for today for details if you dare!

    Awesome site!

    ReplyDelete