Tuesday, April 9, 2013

H is for Higgs Boson



With the recent discovery of the oft hypothesized but elusive Higgs Boson, I could hardly choose any other topic for H.

When it comes to particle physics, it can be difficult for the layman to make any sense of what these physicists are talking about.  I've met my share of people who think the science community is simply making these things up.  Still, just because a concept can be slippery to grasp, it doesn't mean that it isn't worth the effort.  And luckily, some scientists take the time to adequately explain these matters to the rest of us.



Science can certainly be ambitious, as I think it should be.  However, science also knows how to celebrate.  Next I would like to share two episodes of Star Talk Radio.  These are live episodes that are dedicated to the discovery of the Higgs Boson.  Scientists and comedians come together to make science fun and entertaining for a live audience.  I highly recommend taking the time to listen to these.  I did and it was time well spent.


3 comments:

  1. Certainly a great pick for H!

    The Higgs is the biggest thing to happen in Physics in a long time. They have every right to be excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I found your blog through Alex Kavanaugh. Empirical magazine (which I edit) has an awesome, humorous article out now on the God particle. It begins "Got God?" :-) Empirical has a blog with some archived content on science. Maybe we can follow each other? :) http://empiricalmag.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete