Monday, April 27, 2015

W is for Whelve


This is the last week of the A to Z Challenge!  We're almost at the finish line!  Let's celebrate with some vocabulary.

Today's word is: WHELVE

Whelve has a couple of definitions, though unlike the definitions for godwottery, you can see the similarity between these.

1.  To turn a vessel upside down so as to cover something.
2.  To cover up with anything; to hide, bury.

Reasons to know this word:
-I didn't know that the time I turned a large mixing bowl upside down to cover a cake so the flies wouldn't land on it, I'd actually whelved it.  That sounds kinda badass for such a mundane activity.
-When writing, you can say something dramatic like "I whelved my feelings for him in the hope that I might forget them."  Cool, right?

3 comments:

  1. That is an interesting word. Say it five times fast!

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool word and one I am unfamiliar with ... until now. I love learning new words. I just dropped by form the challenge to say hi.

    Melissa Sugar
    Twitter: @msugar13
    sugarlaw13@live.com
    http://fictiontoolbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. kinda weird word... but a funny weird :D

    ReplyDelete