Thursday, April 9, 2015

H is for Halch


Hello again!  Let's get down to business with another vocabulary word!

Today's word is so obscure that I could only find a couple of references to it.  Is it even a real word, or is it a word someone made up in the hope of seeing it catch on?  Not that I'm saying that would be a bad thing, as every word in our language was invented at some point.  Yesterday's word, for example, had a very interesting origin story.

Today's word is: HALCH

Halch is defined as follows: to hug; to press firm against one's self.

You can find one of the few entries for this word HERE.  That way you know I'm at least not fabricating it.  Though perhaps I should consider fabricating a word and trying to spread it around the internet.  It could be fun.

Anyway, let's get back to the word in question.

Reasons to know this word:
-The next time you read a romantic narrative, replace hug with halch and see how funny it sounds.  It could be worth a good laugh.
-In public, you can scream aloud for all to hear "Halch me!" and see how many strange looks you get.

5 comments:

  1. Love this one, I'm definitely going to be using it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to halch myself a lot today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hrm, I think I'll just stick with the word hug.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. I need a halch!

    morgankatz505.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. J here, stopping by from the #atozchallenge 2015!
    Great post. I've followed you on GFC. Big, warm {{{halch}}} !
    @JLenniDorner

    ReplyDelete