Wednesday, April 17, 2013

O is for Olympus Mons


I've always had a fascination with Mars, and I don't think I'm alone in this.  The red planet not only has an appealing color, it also once had liquid water on its surface.

Image source: Forsetius/ Flickr.
As a kid though, I had a particular love of Olympus Mons.  The amazing size of it impressed me.  It stands at about 3x the height of Mt. Everest.  It's so tall that it sticks out of the Martian atmosphere. When compared to anything on Earth, Olympus Mons dwarfs it all.

© Sémhur Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY-SA-3.0

To give you and idea of just how large the base of this volcano is, here's what it might look like if it were on Earth.

Image Source: Lunar and Planetary Institute/ Flickr.

And lastly, since I wanted to give you a video of some kind, here's a neat one showing how Olympus Mons might look to a human who's landed there.  Maybe one day soon, someone will get to see this sight in real life!  Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. I have been in a Mars-mood of late. I started re-reading the John Cater of Mars books and think an RPG on Mars would be cool.

    I have always found it interesting that the largest volcano in the solar system was on one of it's smallest planets. Really how cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. space is always fascinating! And mars, even more so than other planets!

    ReplyDelete