Friday, April 5, 2013

E is for the Event Horizon and Beyond



No, I'm not talking about the film, but rather the event horizon of a black hole. A black hole is a singularity, and its gravitational field is so strong that not even light can escape.  The event horizon is the boundary.  At this point, escape velocity is equal to the speed of light, so once you reach that point, you're going along for the ride whether you like it or not.  Though no one can venture beyond this point and report back about what they see, scientific theory lets us speculate about what it would be like to fall into a black hole.

Warning!  Venturing beyond the event horizon of a black hole is for experienced virtual travelers.  Do not try this at home! :)

4 comments:

  1. I think black holes are one of the coolest things in the universe. Every time I think of it I think of Space Odyssey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm at home and I'm scared to press play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm scared to press play, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Space stuff! I'll only press play if I can get a large brandy and a motion sickness pill first.

    ReplyDelete